Monday, October 6, 2014

Cute Street Art


I want to make some cute street art! I think it would be fun to go outside and decorate a few poles and sidewalks. Recently my neighbor showed me where the water shut-off valve for my property was located and my first thought was wouldn't that look cute decorated ~ to which my 'self' answered, "Yes, indeed there are artistic possibilities here." 


Our home has three large steps one must navigate in order to arrive to the path that leads visitors into our inner courtyard. I had never before considered decorating those steps until now, but I think it would be fun to arrive to the house with some charming little welcomer-characters. Admittedly my brain is thinking something slightly more elaborate would be a better representation of the household they are entering. As this particular home is our little hamlet, something representing aesthetic creativity and flourishing is called for. I'll have to put my brain on this and once complete, write a follow-up post (with pictures).


Passing by our property each day are a number of dogs (and their owners) who live in our community. This has me questioning what type of images might entertain both canine and canine passerbys. Perhaps a some visual entertainment relating to the dog-walking experience?


This little guy is a mascot, which immediately reminds me of Frédéric Mistral's Vincent and Mireille (Frédéric Mistral introduced the word mascotte into the French language, from which we derive "mascot"), two Provençal lovers that fell under the spell of love. 

If you don't know the story, Mistral's major work (for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1904) was Mirèio (Mireille), a long poem in Provençal which tells of the thwarted love of Vincent and Mireille, two young Provençal lovers from different walks of life. 

Vincent et Mireille 
Victor Leydet (1861 - 1904)


Mireille is supposed to marry a Provençal landowner but instead falls in love with Vincent, a poor country weaver. After refusing three wealthy suitors, Mireille, desperate by the refusal of her parents to let her marry Vincent, goes to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer to pray to the patron of Provence to allow them to marry. Unfortunately, she forgets her hat and suffers serious sunstroke by the time she reaches the end of her journey. She dies in the arms of Vincent. 

Thinking about Vincent and Mireille as mascots for our walkway, I'm imagining Mireille WITH her hat, this time she has remembered it! And who is waiting for her with open arms on the other side of the driveway? ... why it's Vincent! 

A happily ever after for the young lovers can be created with a simple stroke of the brush. All possibilities exist in our little hamlet and how charming will it be to add a little street art to the experience! 










No comments: