Monday, October 15, 2012

Of the Things of which we May Laugh


     

     Several years have now elapsed since I first became aware that I had accepted, even from my youth, many serious opinions for true, and that consequently what I afterward based on such principles was not funny in the least; and from that time I was convinced of the necessity of undertaking once in my life to rid myself of all the serious explanations for natural phenomenon I had adopted, and of commencing anew the world of building from a much funnier foundation, if I desired to establish a coherently enjoyable, abidingly humorous superstructure. But as this enterprise appeared to me to be one of the most farcical magnitude. I waited until I had changed my name to Laughing as to leave me no hope that at any stage of life more advanced I should be better able to laugh about my design. After contemplating this and other things over a delicious plate of crêpes saturated in maple syrup and melted butter, I deliberately set out to free my mind from all serious cares and am happily living in Paris, disturbed by no passions, and since I am in the lucky possession of leisurely life in a peaceful environment, I will at length apply myself humorously and freely to the general overthrow of all my former serious-minded opinions. 

No comments: