Sunday, March 11, 2012

Moonlight Savings


I'm such an early person that I might as well be called a night person. 
Every morning, I get up with the moonrise at 4:30 a.m.

Soph Laugh



I want a moonlight saving time! 

Maurice Chevalier, 1931

(There Ought to Be a) Moonlight Saving Time 
(w.m. Irving Kahal & Harry Richman)




According to the lovely timepiece my grandmother left me, the quest for eternity is not for another hour.

Soph Laugh


I might just refuse to celebrate the paradigm of human temporality this year. 

Soph Laugh


A central meaning of The Dreaming is that of a sacred, heroic time long, long ago when man and nature came to be as they are; but neither "time" nor "history" as we understand them is involved in this meaning. I have never been able to discover any aboriginal word for time as an abstract concept. And the sense of "history" is wholly alien here. We shall not understand The Dreaming fully except as a complex of meanings. 

W.E. H. Stanner, Anthropologist


Trapped in some vast machinery of time, cyclicity retains a deep appeal. Yet, it is abhorrent to me. While Einstein's cosmology suggests a cyclic universe with an attractive prospect of resurrection in subsequent cycles, there's a world of difference between a general sort of cosmic regeneration, and a universe that endlessly repeats itself in precise detail. 

This is what I think Paul Davies meant


Palingenesia - the literal reappearance of the same people and events in cycle after cycle. 

(repugnant Stoic concept)

No comments: