Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Occupy Wall Street - The Musical


. . .


What can you say about a 25-year-old girl who went to occupy Wall Street?

That she was beautiful and brilliant?

That she loved liberty and tents? 

Constitution Day?

And me? 


- I like your protest sign? - Can I borrow your Sharpie marker?

Sure…

And that's how it started...

- So, what’s your name?

Jen.

- Jen, do you have a last name?

Yeah, but I don’t know you.

- Good point, but if you’re planning on staying, you’ve got to make a few friends, right?

 True, I guess. Jenkins. Jennifer Jenkins. I’m from L.A.

- Cool! I’m from Massachusetts. My name is Justin Feefer.

Justin Bieber?

- That’s so lame, I can’t even justify it with a response.

You just did.

- You’re funny. Hey, where are you staying?

I’m not sure yet. I just got in on the 11:30am flight.

- Well, looks like the Zuccotti park owner has given consent for us to stay the night. A bunch of people I met are already setting up their tents and claiming their spots.

 Where’s yours?

- Over there, by the second garbage can pit.

 The one with the “Sweets” sign on it?

- Yep, that’s it. I’m in charge of sweets.

 What does that have to do with protesting?

- It takes a lot of energy to protest. Most everyone brought beef jerky and energy bars, but out here in the cold, the stress, the cops, the anxiety - we need sugar.

Yeah, but why does your garbage can pit say “Sweets?”

- Because I’m roasting marshmallows. People love them! It’s just like being at 6th grade science camp.

 That’s funny, but I’m not here to just hang out. I’m here because I’m protesting against social and economic inequality, corporate greed, and the influence of corporate money and lobbyists on government. Not to mention, my parents after 25 years together, are losing our family home because my dad got laid off and my mom’s business has completely dropped off.

- We are all here for similar reasons. I graduated at the top of my class, aced my MCAT’s, and was recently accepted to med school.

Then, what are you doing here?

- I can’t get a job to pay for my rent and books. My tuition is due and my parents can’t help me because my dad’s pension is now virtually non-existent, and my mom’s business folded. My parents had to get divorced because they couldn’t even afford stay married. Wall Street has them by their nuptials.

Wow, that’s rough. Are there others like us? I mean, college grads?

- Yeah! Come on over and meet my friends. We’re setting up the pit. I was just coming back from buying these Graham Crackers. Everything in the nearby stores costs a fortune. And taking a taxi out of here is crazy expensive. Can you believe it? I just paid $6 bucks for a candy bar! Looks like Smores will have to stay on the back burner for now.

Have you ever slept outside in a cardboard box before?

- Only once on a sleepover in 5th grade. And then, my mom made us come inside around 11:30pm. She said she needed to get some rest and couldn’t stay outside and guard us all night.

It’s sad when you can’t even camp out in your own backyard.

- Isn’t that the truth.

Hey, um, Justin?

- Yes?

I have some Hershey’s kisses. I know it’s not much, but I don’t mind sharing.

- Jennifer, you rock!


I like this girl. 

I hope I can get a job soon, so I can ask her out. 

In the meantime, Smores it is...

The "Sweets" Garbage Can Roasting Pit





No comments: