Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Illogical Logic of Jokes

Evening Falls, Magritte


Humor often brings two different thought interpretations together in quick succession. In this sense, a logical assessment from any statement, while tacitly understood, is still illogical. 


How seriously should any notion be taken? Perhaps only as seriously as we take language, music, politics, or art. Given we are prone to place undue importance on many things, including ourselves, applying logic to any thought, despite the tangible value, is in itself, illogical. 



This is where I found humor to reside. Despite the highly entertaining experience of humorously demonstrating faulty logic, there seems to be an energie inherent in this silliness that enables me to laugh or giggle at what might otherwise be interpreted as something unpleasant or not funny. 


Not to Be Reproduced, Magritte


For me, there is no good reason to take any notion in the known universe too seriously. Of course, that doesn't mean that I refrain from doing so. Like many others, I take ideas and suggest new structures and operations. 

Lonely Metropolitan, Herbert Bayer


Given that I am neither omnipotent nor omniscient, I am faced with the experience of existing, until, perhaps, I don't. As such, it is much more entertaining to apply my own faulty logic to jokes rather than any other subject due to a personal preference for levity, liveliness, and amusement. 


If you think about it, humor is riddled with faulty logic and simply representative of that faulty logic inherent in the history of human thought. In this respect, humor is like sitting center stage to a giant cosmic joke in which, despite our willingness or propensity to fuel the plot, we continue to do so. That in itself is funny. 



In this vein, applying logic to jokes is completely logical in its illogicalness. 


I experience both delight and tortue in anything illogical...















No comments: